training day with lowland search dogs

Write-ups and details of our past events

A few personal notes on the day

Postby Andrew Pepper » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:17 pm

I have made a few notes on yesterday's activities, which you can find here (a pdf file):

http://www.peppernet.org/atpec/Freelander/Gone%20to%20the%20Dogs%20-%20A%20Personal%20View.pdf

I hope that those of you who were there feel it is a reasonable account of what we did.

And for those who didn't make it hopefully it will give you an idea of what you missed!

No photos - Tony is sorting through the thousands of images he accumulated yesterday and will no doubt put a selected few on the website in due course.
Andrew
Andrew Pepper
Operational Member

Vehicle 1: Land Rover Discovery 4
Mobile Number: 07774217174
Callsign: SY152
Availability: Off Duty - Not Available

Re: training day with lowland search dogs

Postby Patrick Molloy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:12 am

An excellent write up Andrew, thanks very much.
You mention at the end, a need fopr at least 10 vehicles. How many vehicles from SY4x4R actually took part in this particular event?

I wonder if you could get this with some photos into one of the meonth;y rags? That would be great publicity too.

I cross posted your write uponto the National forum. Hope thats ok ... sorry I forgot to ask first :-(
Patrick Call Sign: SY033
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Amateur Radio Call Sign: M5PM
GLASS Member
Patrick Molloy
Operational Member

Vehicle 1: Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle 2: BMW 430i M-Sport
Vehicle 3: RR Wraith - I wish!
Mobile Number: 07961921699
Callsign: SY033

Re: training day with lowland search dogs

Postby Andrew Pepper » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:57 am

Patrick Molloy wrote:You mention at the end, a need fopr at least 10 vehicles. How many vehicles from SY4x4R actually took part in this particular event?

There were eleven on site, with ten taking part, albeit not all at one time. I joined the taxi rank after one or two had left. My reason for suggesting ten vehicles is as follows:

At the end of an assessment, having found all the mispers, there were up to eight people plus a dog to be collected - that required three vehicles. There were three assessments running concurrently, and certainly there was one occasion when we were out collecting two teams and for a short while I was the only one on the taxi rank, albeit a couple of our members had left by then. So if we allow for that plus, say, one bogged (surely not!) or broken down (even less likely!) with another assisting I reckon we should always aim to field ten vehicles.

Last Saturday we were able to provide transport as soon as it was required throughout the entire day. However, there were certainly times when we standing around for quite a while waiting, so action came in bursts. I also think that if we have too many vehicles - say more than 15 - then not everyone will get a decent number of runs. What we cannot do is drive around the site without a specific task from the organisers.

I would be interested to know if others agree with my logic above regarding numbers.

Patrick Molloy wrote:I wonder if you could get this with some photos into one of the meonth;y rags? That would be great publicity too.

I can certainly adapt this to suit the monthly mags - I have contacts (via my son) at LR World and 4x4 Magazine. I have also drafted a press release (PMd to Rick) that we might be able to use to get local (Surrey) papers interested. However, this needs to be done in conjunction with Lowland Search Dogs, as it is the dogs that the papers will pick up on rather than us - we just need to be sure that we get a mention. Ideally the dogs organiser should be quoted as saying how valuable our services were, and then Rick quoted as saying who we are and what we do.

Patrick Molloy wrote:I cross posted your write uponto the National forum. Hope thats ok ... sorry I forgot to ask first :-(

No problem - hope it helps to put Surrey 4x4 Response on the National map!
Andrew
Andrew Pepper
Operational Member

Vehicle 1: Land Rover Discovery 4
Mobile Number: 07774217174
Callsign: SY152

Return to PRESS & Past Events